Roof of Hafez's Tomb

Roof of Hafez's Tomb

Sunday, June 3, 2012

New Books

This weekend I purchased two books for my upcoming class. The first is: An Introduction to Persian by Wheeler M. Thackston.  It's a terrific textbook because it immediately introduces the student to a difficult script called Nastaliq. Nastaliq is a calligraphy style which tends to be written on a slant and most Persian manuscripts were written in beautiful nastaliq that wrapped around illuminated miniature paintings.


The second book is a comprehensive dictionary titled: The Combined Persian-English and English-Persian Dictionary by Abbas and Manoochehr Kashani. It's a decent purchase but the typeset tends to be small and blurry. Oh well, at least the cover is a pleasant shade of green. 

2 comments:

  1. If I may... I have that book, too, but a much better one I found was Haim's Farhang Moaser Shorter Persian-English dictionary. It's portable, and is decent (though only Persian-English not English-Persian btw). I used to have another copy of it, let me see if I can dig it up :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a good buy! I'll put it on my Amazon wishlist :)

    ReplyDelete