Roof of Hafez's Tomb

Roof of Hafez's Tomb

Thursday, June 14, 2012

Summer Garden

One of the benefits of living in Bloomington is a long growing season and this summer, I've added a lot of new plants to my apartment deck-- giant ferns, coleus, caladiums, geraniums, petunias, tomato plants, and even an eggplant!  Adding a garden outside my door has really improved the energy of the space and reminds me of the importance of how entrance-ways can set the tone of an environment. Persian gardens like many other Islamic gardens are considered to be portals to paradise--earthly representations of heavenly gardens filled with fruit trees, water channels, fountains, archways, and high walls to create an intimate space. The Persian idea is that gardens not only help us connect to the earth but to heaven as well. While my deck is far from a being a living paradise--it's certainly brought me a lot of joy !


Lovers in a Garden, Persia, c. 1625 
Safavid 16th c. miniature from "The Seven Thrones" of Jami

No comments:

Post a Comment